Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mini (And Not So Mini) Albums for Beginners

Recently I have received a lot of questions about my mini albums and how to do them, so I thought I would share what I have learned in my brief explorings of the Mini Album World.

1.  Adhesive: Good Adhesive is very, very important in any endeavor, but more so in mini album making.  When I'm working on mini albums, I use two types of adhesive.
  • Liquid
    • I really love Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive.  It is a thick nonrunning liquid adhesive that dries entirely clear.  The best parts is that is fairly reasonable on price, a little goes a long way, and it isn't runny making it easier to use.  
    • I use this for the adhering of my papers, photos, embellishments.

  • Double Sided Tape
    • If you are making your own albums from scratch (meaning including the cover) you will absolutely need this.  I make my own albums including the covers from scratch.  I have found that using my adhesive gun, although works, does not work at all.  The papers will buckle from the chipboard and each other in mini albums.  I have not had this problem with double sided tape.  I recommend two different brands:
    • Redline
      • it is clear double sided extra strength adhesive with red plastic protectant on each side.  You have to cut the lengths you need and the red protectants will statically cling to EVERYTHING. 

    • Scor Tape
      • Also a clear double sided extra strength adhesive, you can ripe the length that you want rather than using scissors.  It is easier to find, and cheaper.  Also the protectant lining doesn't stick to anything other than the tape until you are ready. 

2.  Tools: There are a few simple tools that you will need and can use over and over again
  • Crop-a-Dile
  • Big Bite
I use the Crop-a-Dile and the Big bit often particularly when working on my covers.  
  • Ruler with Metric Sizing
3.  Basic Materials:  There are a few material types that I ALWAYS keep on hand when I am inspired to make a mini album
  • Chipboard:  I purchase packages of chipboard in 8.5x11 and 12x12.  However, I also save all of my cereal boxes - two pieces of cereal box placed together will create the same thickness as one piece of chipboard.
  • Coordinating Pattern Paper: Even if I use odds and ends on the insides of my album, I always make sure to have two sheets of every piece of pattern paper that I purchase for the making of the covers
  • Distress Ink:  You absolutely need to have some distress ink in basic colors - Light brown, Brown, and Black.  You will use them to ink the edges of everything and definitely are worth it.
  • Binder Rings
  • Cardstock
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. If there is anything that I have left out that you have questions about, please contact me!  Enjoy your endeavors into Mini Book making!

No comments:

Post a Comment