Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Gosting Ink Comparison

If you read my last post, you will know that I have been working on my ghosting technique.  I am really enjoying it and its versatility.  It is something that can be dressed up or down, which is just nice to have.  And well it's something new to try out.  In my recent wanderings of the world of ghosting, I have been trying different inks.  The tutorial found here suggests using a waterbased ink.  The first time I did the technique I used my distress inks.  Mainly because I hoard the colors but rarely use them.  After such a great success, I decided that I wanted to use my inks from Stampin' Up! - which I love.  However, despite my love for my Stampin' Up! inks, I was not impressed with the outcome of this technique in tandem with the inks.  The dark colors stained the versamarked portion and the ink did not go on as slick and smoothly as with the distress inks.  Also, I got more a clear distinct line with the Stampin' Up! inks, which I think is attributed to the rather "stiff" nature of the inks.  So, here is a picture of the results side by side:


The left is a pink and the black from Stampin' Up! while the right photo is with Black Soot and Worn Lipstick Distress Ink.  The image done with Distress ink has a more finished, and smooth look while the Stampin' Up! inks have more of a grainy chalky look to them.

One other tip when trying this technique:  Use a rubber brayer.  The first time I did it, I used a nonrubber brayer and it was hard to control the action.  Although the rubber brayer will also slip when doing this technique with distress ink, there is less slippage.  Also, as mentioned previously, this technique is like water on an oily road.  The distress inks on the slick surface of the glossy paper will be slick, so make sure and be ready and use a firm steady motion.

Supplies:  Worn Lipstick, Black Soot (Ranger Distress Ink); Basic Black, Pretty in Pink (Stampin' Up! Classic Ink); Glossy Paper (Ranger Inkssentials); Rubber Brayer; Sexy, Silly, and Sassy Stamp Set (Unity Stamp Co.)

No comments:

Post a Comment