Monday, July 16, 2012

My First EVER Altered Cigar Box

Recently over at Mini Album Scraps, okay well maybe about a month or so ago, there was an altered cigar box swap that opened and I was curious to try my hand.  School has been demanding and hard so I was not able to join in a swap, but my friend Jules and I decided to do our own swap with one another with a little more time.  I sat and sat and sat for some time thinking about what I wanted to do, and then trying to do it.  I went through TWO cigar boxes trying to get the effect that I was looking for.  In case you are wondering, that awesome glue crackle technique...... not so much on cigar boxes, at least I didn't have any luck.....  After some time, and much love, thought, and labor, I came up with this:
 I really struggled with this box as I wanted it to be fun but grungy.  The roses are I Am Roses that I dropped distress ink reinker on and then soaked with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist.  The large flower was made using some Graphic 45 Romantique collection, Tim Holtz's Tattered Floral Die, and a tutorial I found on the web.  But the main piece of inspiration was this:

When I had dreamed up this box, I had wanted there to be a french memo board in the recess of the inside, so that little things can be tucked into this treasure eve after the goodies inside are taken out and placed in their proper places...

The memo board was made using fabric and lace I had on hand, some satin ribbon in my stash, and the round things are actually brads I made using the iTop Brad Maker (which I LOVE).  These were placed into the board by punching a hole at the intersections of the ribbon, placing some strong fabric glue in the back of the brad and then putting through the hole and securing in the back.  It was super easy and fun to make!  I hope that the recipient of this little guy loves it as much as I do.

Have a fun and crafty day!

No comments:

Post a Comment