Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Mixed Media Album Swap


As some of you know, I write over at Scrapjazz.com.  A while back, I wrote an article on how to upcycle your packaging, and I had created a wonderful mini album out of all the scraps and bits and pieces left on my desk from various projects.  One of my dear scrapping buddies, Virginia, over there loved the article so much she wanted to do a Mixed Media UpCycle Mini Album swap, and I of course was very excited about this.  Virginia and I have been swap partners once before and I really enjoyed what she made, so I have been eager to swap with her again.  For this mini album, everything in it had to be upcycled materials, include pockets, fabric, and use the Jillbean Watermelon Gazpacho paper line.  Our chosen theme for the swap was going to be summer picnics and BBQs, this is what I came up with:
I left the cover plain as I was unsure of exactly what my partner will be doing with it.   The entire mini was distressed using Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  I wanted the album to be bright and vibrant but also have a feel of a small hometown picnic.
This page was made out of a piece of cardboard that I cut down and then ripped off the top layers to reveal the fluting.  I love the look of the cardboard fluting, feminine but not overly girly at the same time.
The page on the right is actually two toilet paper rolls that I combined to create two pockets with the rolls but increase the size of the overall space on the outside.
I love that icecream cone, it looks tasty enough to eat, then again, so does that piece of watermelon.  Speaking of the watermelon, the seeds were done using the Inkessential Enamel Accents, that stuff is AWESOME.  The right side of the page with the ice cream cone, is an envelope left over from a card I got for my birthday a few months ago (I save everything, shameful, I know....).
This is the inside of the envelope page.  The flower on this page was actually sent to me as part of another swap.  I love that flower and there are definitely plans in the making to make some of my own of that little bad boy.  Oh and that grill, I just love the embossing folder that I used on it.... that embossing folder is actually from a christmas set, but it makes a perfect summer gingham pattern.  Here are the journaling spots that are in the right side of the page:
I have to say that I made all the embellishments in this mini album by hand - I used an SVG cut file from LetteringDelights.com, and I am just in love with it, it was so much fun to play with.  I mean really, look at how cute those ketchup and mustard bottles are?!
The die cut on the left side of the page, and the one in the next photo below on the right were made using the out packing of the paper pack that the paper came in.  I covered both sides with pattern paper and then ran the entire thing through my George (AKA Grand Calibur).  I had to go over it a few times to get it to cut all the way through, but it worked!  George can handle thin chipboard and two sheets of single sided paper.  The side with the watermelon paper clipped to it, that is made out of junk mail envelopes and is using Laura Denison's Envelope Pocket Tutorial on YouTube.
The right side of the above is a paper bag that I ironed and then cut in half. 
 I love burlap.  I really do, and for this project I think it totally added to the comfy cozy hometown neighborly feel.  I love burlap.
  
I have a confession to make, the left side of this page is actually the box that the Venus razor refills come in.  This mini is just full of surprises right?  Oh and the right side of the album in the above photo is the other side of the paper page.  This was made using a tutorial on youtube.
 The right photo is a picture of the mechanism that holds the ribbon that is tied to the binder clip that holds the mini closed.  This is actually a brad that I made using my iTop Brad Maker - seriously it's the best tool ever.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoyed my little share.  Happy Crafting everyone!














No comments:

Post a Comment