Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saint Patrick's Day Home Decor Banner

I'm terrible of planning ahead.  If you are a follower of my blog, you will notice this terrible character flaw on occasion by the long lapses in postings......  In my efforts to be better at planning, I started planning my Saint Patrick's Day Banner long in advance.  I figured since I missed the boat on the Valentine's Day Banner, I could get an early start on the Saint Patty's Day one.  Even with that intention, I didn't finish this banner until late late last night.  Saint Patrick's Day is big in my house, my husband being a 1/4 Irish (and a very proud 1/4 I might add) insists on it's observance. Which means Corned Beef (which I loathe with a passion) at the least.  Last year, I made some place mats that we use for the month of March.  This year, I thought I would add to my decor by creating a fun little banner.  My original idea had the phrase " Get Lucky" which I immediately dismissed because of its so many varied meanings...... This was immediately replaced with "Got Lucky?" which was no better might I add......I finally decided on the phrase "Got Luck?"  It is more than the Lucky or Luck banners but not so suggestive as the others, or super long.......  It was just right.  And here is the finished product:

So because I am on a "No Buy" challenge I couldn't go and get patterned paper. This left me with a conundrum and a very happy solution. Although I could have justified my purchase. After all it is project specific and I don't own anything Saint Patrick's Day related...... Still I wanted to make do with what I have. So I made my own patterned paper.  No big deal. I used 6 pieces of 8.5x11 white cardstock that I stamped with various Saint Patrick Day Themed Stamps in various colors.  After I got done stamping them, I cut out one pennant shape using my Cricut and SCAL.  I then used this to cut out the rest of my banners.  To get the most out of my paper, each banner measures 5.5x8.5 so that I could get two for each piece of 8.5x11 piece of cardstock.  Additionally, because these are being used as a seasonal home decor, I wanted them large because they will span a wall.
 
I then trimmed my 8.5x11 Pieces of chipboard in half, and traced the pennants onto them.  I then returned to my trimmer and cut out the triangular piece at the bottom.

 

After I trimmed them, I lined all of the banners in some Shamrock wire trim - you know the stuff you wrap around things and then throw away afterwards.  I had to use my hot glue gun for that part in order for everything to stick down.  And then I cut everything from my cricut using the Paper Doll Dress Up Cartridge.  I backed the hats, and letters with chipboard.  The gold coins you see  in the pots I cut using a 1 inch circle punch on yellow glitter paper.  Seriously I LOVE how it turned out!  This is the finished product:



 And some close ups of the details:

 And a bit of a confession:
So while I was assembling the banner, I got stuck on what to do, hubby suggested that I put the pots of gold behind each letter - which at that time I thought was silly.  and I ultimately decided to use a Nesties Label shape for my backing - which looked AWFUL, just dreadful.  After gluing it all down, I then cut out the pots of gold...... and immediately decided that the letters would look better with pots of gold. Hubby was right.  Ensued was much lifting, and by lifting I mean ripping and tearing, of glued down letters and nesties labels........  So the point of my story is that even old pros like me make awful, dreadful, painful goofs while crafting.

Supplies:  Studio G Stamps; Provo Craft Paper Doll Dress Up Cardtridge; Stampin ' Up! Classic Inks; Bazzill Cardstock; DCWV Glitter Cardstock Stack; 


No comments:

Post a Comment